Friday, May 8, 2015

Treatment

There are many people who suffer from Trigeminal Neuralgia and never have it diagnosed.  For those that do, there are a number of different treatments and procedures that can help.  These treatments fall in one of three categories: avoidance of triggers, medication or surgery.  Each of these can help to some degree.  The category chosen is likely decided upon due to the severity of the symptoms, the number of occurences of trigeminal neuralgic attack and the degree to which quality of life is hindered.  Below is a table outlining these treatments other than surgery:


TreatmentMethod of actionAdverse EffectsBest for...Cost
Avoiding TriggersAvoiding things such as:
  • Spicy foods
  • Extreme hot or cold beverages
  • Drafty or windy places
  • Few side effects
  • Missing out on pleasures
People with mild or infrequent bouts of TNFree
Medication
Anticonvulsants are the first line of treatment in TN.  This medication slows the nerve impulses that send pain.  The drug of choice is Carbamazepine.
  • Blurred or double vision
  • Confusion
  • Drowsiness
  • Irritability
  • Chest Pain
  • Insomnia
  • And many more...

People with moderate to severe episodes of TN that occur more frequently

Without insurance covering this med, the cost can be greater than $60 per month.
Complementary and Alternative Medicines
  • Acupuncture
  • Biofeedback
  • Capsaicin (active component in chili peppers)
  • Homeopathy
  • Nutritional Therapy
  • etc.
Time and energy spent on these.  Adverse effects will vary.Anyone suffering from TN who wants to try an alternative or adjuvant medicineWidely varied range
 



For those suffering from severe and frequent bouts of TN, surgery may seem like a good solution.  There are several different surgeries that can be performed, as well.  The most popular surgeries are:

SurgerySpecific ProcedureInvasive?Drawback
Microvascular Decompression (MVD)Cushion is placed between the nerve and compressing vessel through a small incision behind the ear.YesInvasive
Balloon CompressionCatheter with balloon tip is inserted through a puncture in the cheek and inflated to selectively squeeze and damage nerves which mediate light touch.YesDamage to the nerve
Glycerol InjectionGlycerol is injected into the trigeminal ganglion (where the three trigeminal branches come together) and bathes the demyelinated fibers.MildlyPain may return
Radiofrequency LesioningA needle is passed through the cheek and through an opening in the skull.  The area of the TN pain is isolated by a small electrical current and that portion of the nerve is destroyed.  MildlyPotential destruction of surrounding nerves
Radiosurgery (GammaKnife, CyberKnife)A head frame is attached and beams of radiation are directed to the area of the brainstem where the trigeminal nerves exit.  This causes a lesion and disrupts transmission of pain.NoMay take months for pain relief



Watch a Microvascular Decompression surgery below!




References:

http://www.healthline.com/health/cost-epilepsy-medications#Overview1

http://fpa-support.org/treatment-options-trigeminal-neuralgia/









6 comments:

  1. There are a lot of reasons of that problem as one of the most common is sudden injury that is possibly by hitting on the jaw and needs a lot of medication and rest as well but Physiotherapy North Ryde can increase the process of healing as well to provide better and early relief to the patient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS
    I was diagnosed of neuralgia in 2011, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor , who prepare herbal medicine to cure different kind of diseases including neuralgia , when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he sent me the neuralgia herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed by Dr Williams i was totally cured from this disease within 1 months of usage. any body with similar problem can Contact this great herbal doctor via his email drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product,and thanks to you admin for such an informative blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Love Spell,Prostate Cancer,Lung Cancer,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.,Tach Disease,Breast Cancer,Blood Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Love Spell,Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Weak Erection,Breast Enlargment,Penis Enlargment,Hpv,Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ . I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS I HAVE NEVER BELIEVE IN HERBAL REMEDIES.
    my wife have been a patient of neuralgia. I have tried a lot of anti viral med prescribed to me by doctors over how many years now but I could not see any improvements in my wife symptoms. One day when going through the internet , i got to know about this great Herbal Dr who uses his herbal remedies in curing people from neuralgia,quickly i contacted him and he assured me that my wife is going to be fine,that was how the medicine was sent through delivering service which i received and my wife used it as instructed by Dr Williams. After few weeks the improvement were very visible. the jabbing pain that may feel like an electric shock reduce.and the uncomfortable tingling and burning stopped and now she is neuralgia free, I would recommend this to all my friends,families,around the globe suffering from neuralgia.you can contact him through his email on drwilliams098675@gmail.com.for advice and for his product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello I'm cambell by name, I'm giving a testimony about Dr.Emmanuel the great Herbalist, he has the cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my herpes disease, though I went through different website I saw different testimonies about different spell casters and herbalist, I was like: 'Many people have the herpes cure why are people still suffering from it?' I though of it, then I contact Dr. Emmanuel via email, I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it (CURE) and sent it to Airfreight Online Courier Service for delivery, he gave my details to the Courier Office, they told me that 3-5 days I will receive the package and i took the medicine as prescribed by him and I went for check-up 2 weeks after finishing the medicine, I was tested herpes negative, if you are herpes positive do me a favor for you to contact him and I will try my possible best to make sure you get cured, when you contact him, make sure you tell him that I referenced you.. contact him via: nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2348140073965 

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete