Sunday, April 12, 2015

How often does this disorder occur?


Trigeminal neuralgia is a rare chronic pain disorder, but one that needs to be taken seriously.  It can severely decrease the quality of life for those who are diagnosed with it.  And who are these people who are diagnosed with the disorder?  Below is an infograph outlining the incidence and prevalence of the disease in the world. 


To summarize:
  • Trigeminal neuralgia is most commonly diagnosed in those over the age of 50, although it can be diagnosed as early as teenage years and there has even been a case of trigeminal neuralgia found in infancy.  
  • Women are diagnosed more often than men.
  • There will be a rise in number of cases that are both diagnosed and prevalent by the year 2022.  (This forecast is likely due to the changes in population as opposed to the changes in the disease itself.)

The most common cause of trigeminal neuralgia is pressure on the trigeminal nerve from a surrounding blood vessel.  It can be an outcome of multiple sclerosis, as well, if the body attacks the covering of the trigeminal nerve (the myelin sheath.)  One final and more rare cause is pressure on the trigeminal nerve from a tumor.

References:

www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/trigeminal_neuralgia/detail_trigeminal_neuralgia.htm#280093236 

http://dana.org/Publications/GuideDetails.aspx?id=50054

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/epicast-report-trigeminal-neuralgia---epidemiology-forecast-to-2022-246134431.html

3 comments:

  1. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS
    I was diagnosed of neuralgia in 2011, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor , who prepare herbal medicine to cure different kind of diseases including neuralgia , when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he sent me the neuralgia herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed by Dr Williams i was totally cured from this disease within 1 months of usage. any body with similar problem can Contact this great herbal doctor via his email drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product,and thanks to you admin for such an informative blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS I HAVE NEVER BELIEVE IN HERBAL REMEDIES.
    my wife have been a patient of neuralgia. I have tried a lot of anti viral med prescribed to me by doctors over how many years now but I could not see any improvements in my wife symptoms. One day when going through the internet , i got to know about this great Herbal Dr who uses his herbal remedies in curing people from neuralgia,quickly i contacted him and he assured me that my wife is going to be fine,that was how the medicine was sent through delivering service which i received and my wife used it as instructed by Dr Williams. After few weeks the improvement were very visible. the jabbing pain that may feel like an electric shock reduce.and the uncomfortable tingling and burning stopped and now she is neuralgia free, I would recommend this to all my friends,families,around the globe suffering from neuralgia.you can contact him through his email on drwilliams098675@gmail.com.for advice and for his product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete